Sunday, June 14, 2009

1 Minute Flaxmeal (ground linseed) Muffin - Microwave power!

This tasty flaxseed muffin is so quick to make and is perfect for breakfast of afternoon tea!
I've stared eating linseed aka flax as a better way to get omega 3. I have been taking fish oil tablets, but I occasionally get reflux from them (ew fishy burps!) and apart from bad breath there is a concern about mecury in fish, so I'm trying a plant based alternative. This healthy treat is gluten free and full of fibre.
Anyway heres my favourite way to eat flaxseed.

1/4 Cup ground flaxseed (I use the Healtheries brand which you can buy at most supermarkets now)
1 tsp of butter (be generous! go for an extra half teaspoon)
1/2 tsp of Baking powder
1 teaspoon of splenda (or crush a splenda tablet for no fillers! or real sugar if you don't artifical stuff)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 egg


I combine all the dry ingredients in a coffee cup while the butter is melting.
I whisk the egg into the melted butter and then add to the dry ingredients. MIX WELL! You definitely don't want any dry spots. Microwave on high for 1 minute or slightly longer depending on your microwave.

My muffins just slide right out when up ended onto a plate, I then cut in half and eat with cream cheese and a cup of coffee. Delicious!


8 comments:

Zed said...

I'm not really a muffin kinda guy - but these are quite nice - especially with the cream cheese!

Unknown said...

You're just a Philly addict!

Anonymous said...

wow thats really good!
no cream cheese in the house so used butter. I only needed 2tbs of flaxseed for something else I made, glad I found something easy to use the rest for

Anonymous said...

I have been searching on eBooks for a good book to help me with my diet. In the end I googled it and found this site http://www.hungryforweightloss.com.

They are giving away a free ebook called "365 tips for healthy living". I didn't expect it to be any good because it's free but it's actually brilliant so I thought i'd share it here :)

Sophie - Melbourne said...

Made it this morning. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Taste good and great source of much needed fibre!

Meg said...

I have a gluten allergy so making muffins is quite an ordeal. This is so quick and easy and Gluten Free! Thanks

Anonymous said...

As noted on the Dr. Oz Show, you can use coconut oil (1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons)instead of butter -- I also add the oil from one flaxseed pill. JUST GREAT if you are trying to lose weight and add fiber.