Friday, May 09, 2008

more on the old days....

People were not just frugal during the depression, it carried on a lot longer. My mum was a child of the sixties and she emailed me a few memories of the lifestyle they had growing up. It bought a smile to my face so I had to post it ;-)

I read your blog the other day and what a great discussion Harley and I had....we were remembering how our parents saved paper, strings, rubber bands, butter wrappers were reused to line cake tins, jars, bottles, no jersey was given away it was passed on to the next kid and after that the jersey was unpicked wound into a balls till they had enough to knit up something else, all clothes were recycled....had no spray and wipe, oven cleaners etc just good ole vinegar and baking soda...the local tip to the men was the equivalent of Bunning's..the paper was saved for sending parcels, the string to wrap them up in..sellotape was far to expensive......knitting is now a persons hobby and why bother when u can go to the warehouse and buy something for under 40 dollars. Sewing is a hobby, but so glad I have those skills under my belt. Of course gardening was a main stay and alot of bartering went on. there was also alot of sharing,.....just thinking about those times brings a smile to my face, I remember grandma, mum and I driving out to taheke to pick blackberries and wild apples, next day would be pie, jam,jelly applesauce making, wonderful times, and if you are doing it with people you love its so not a chore.....the freezer was your friend, mum and grandma always grew enough for the table and enough to freeze till next season....

No comments: