Monday, September 03, 2007

Escaping Childhood Habits

A momentary lapse in judgment caused me to get up and go to the gym at 5:30 am this morning. It seems there are a lot more crazy people living in my suburb than I ever imagined. I can barely manage a brisk stroll at 5:30 so I was astounded to see the cardio machines awash with sweaty morning type people. I'll just stick to the weight room thanks.

I never used to be a morning person, but I have been since I was about 20. Most of my family seem to remember me as a night owl, which was true when I was a teenager. But that is the natural teenage state. Sleep in long, stay up late. A few progressive schools have switched on to this fact and senior classes start later in the day and finish late too.

I was always given a hard time for sleeping in. It didn't really matter that I had been up till 4am reading or doing something on the computer. Even now if my family catch me on a rare sleep in day (been out to a club till 3am the night before or something similar) I might get a comment.

These days I'm likely to get up at 5am and do some writing or reading. Most weekends I'm up at 7am doing a bit of housework, emailing or what not. I usually get back into bed round 9am with a cup of coffee for my husband and a book to read for 1/2 an hour while he wakes up. He is definitely a night owl staying up till 3am most nights. I'm off to bed at 10:30 so he reciprocates and comes to bed and makes me a cup of tea and will watch a TV show while I drift off. Even though our sleeping habits are incompatible we make little compromises to ensure we're not just ships passing in the night. Thats love people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, Thats love